• 5 visiting teachers stayed in the guesthouse you built, with the 6th teacher coming soon! Please enjoy this video short created by our 2nd visiting teacher, Morgan Bach, on the schoolbus minivan.
- In April, when Al Aqaba Village became the 1st Palestinian town to issue building permits in Area C, thanks to you, Rebuilding Alliance provided the 1st revolving mortgage loans in Area C.
- In recognition of this and so much more, on December 17th, Al Aqaba Mayor Haj Sami Sadeq was awarded Best Head of Village Council by PA Minister of Local Governments Dr. Kalid Qawasmi.
- Because you called congress,
Israeli soldiers left after one night of live-fire training in Al Aqaba village.
- With your help backing lawyers at JLAC, the Jaber Family’s home is standing and animals are safe in their barns.
But it isn’t enough. According to BIMKOM, over 12,500 demolition orders have been issued in Area C, and our partners at UNOCHA are seeing a sharp rise in demolitions and forced evictions to make way for illegal settlements. UNOCHA’s Displacement Working Group writes today about the imminent risk of forced eviction facing a Palestinian family, the Shamasneh family in Sheik Jerrar East Jerusalem. Amos Gvirtz wrote in his series, Don’t Say You Didn’t Know #342, that on Christmas Day, “a Palestinian farmer in the town El Khader (near Bethlehem) discovered that some 200 of his olive trees had been cut down presumably by settlers from Neve Daniel. It is not the first time.”
With your encouragement, we formed a technology team to bring Ushahidi Crowdsource Mapping tools forward. Lea Park’s Palestine Crisis Map won “Ushahidi Deployment of the Week” in November, and we launched the Stay Human Conference Calls to Congress series to bring Palestinian and Israeli Peacemakers to you — and to your congressional staffers. Teacher/blogger Morgan Bach and I went on the road in December to see if sister groups would join us to invite their members and congressional staffers to calls with leaders of the projects in their care — and everybody said yes.
What we learned, matters. Every Congressman, every Senator, states on their website that they will intervene on a constituent’s behalf with any federal agency when an urgent matter needs attention. So staffers for even the most conservative congressman will privately call the State Department when you ask for their urgent assistance to save a home, a school, or an olive grove. Your call makes them call the State Department and the Israeli Embassy. And their calls work.
Please match any part of my donation with a gift of your own.
Right now we’ve raised about $7800 towards that $35,002 goal.
Founder of Rebuilding Alliance
___________________P.S. If you live in the SF Bay Area and would like to join Rebuilding Alliance’s Board of Directors, please send me a letter and resume to Contact @ RebuildingAlliance.org.
P.P.S. If you would like to join an Advisory Board to help with Fair Trade Sales, Mortgage Insurance/Financing, Contact Congress Strategy, or Fundraising (this committee has a lot of fun), please do be in touch. Lastly, if you would like to hold a Houseparty Fundaiser to invite your friends to join you to taste varieties of Fair Trade Organic Olive Oil, let’s set a date! You can reach me at Contact @ RebuildingAlliance.org, or call next week at 650 325-4663.